Wednesday, March 9, 2011

i love plane conversations


cardigan/ring: b-priceless, top: papaya, undershirt: shade, belt: forever21, pants: maurices
(taking pictures with a timer is pretty awkward-- see picture 1 & 3 for examples.)

I get so nervous whenever I fly, but I will admit I really love meeting people on planes.
Top 3 coolest conversations i've had & people i've met:
1. On sept. 11th (not 2001 but a few years later) I was on flight headed to california. i was pretty nervous flying anyway but especially on the anniversary of sept. 11th.
 So as i sat down smack dab in the middle, I met my top #1 person i've met.
First thing we talk about is where we're from.
Me: I'm from a small town in wyoming.
Him: Where is Wyoming?
Me: Don't feel bad you don't know where it is, most people don't, but it's just one state away from where you are flying from.
Him. Oh.
Me: Where are you from?
Him: I'm from Iraq.
Me: haha that's kinda funny...
Him: Why is that funny?
Me: Oh you really are from Iraq? I thought you were kidding...
Him: No I am from Iraq.
Me: (i say nothing)
Him: Do you know where that is?
Me: (i still say nothing but my mind is racing a MILLION times a min. wondering if i should do something or alert someone. )
Him: (He proceeds to tell me where it's at, while i notice the people behind me start shifting in their seats a bit.)
Me: oh... cool.

Fun conversation eh? Only I would have the luck of sitting by someone from Iraq on the anniversary of Sept. 11th.
I seriously had the coolest conversation with him though. He is a christian priest who was coming to America to be a priest and start his own church. He was such a genuine person & he really helped me to have an open mind and to not pre-judge others.
I sometimes wonder about him & I hope that things are going great for him & his church. He has a lovely family back in Iraq that he hopes to fly out to America someday when his church is bigger.

#2-I was flying from Idaho Falls to California and I was sitting by a 40 something year-old who used to be a famous bmx rider, was sponsored by big names like vans, monster energy drinks, etc.
You don't believe him? ya me neither.
But we did have a great conversation. It was when i had just started my clothing business & he really encouraged me to live my dreams & go for them while I can, because you never know what happens in our future.
So I opened a store, expanded my business, & I'm so glad I did because now that I have sophie, I would have never done any of that.
#3- Flying from L.A. to Florida I sat by an "upcoming rapper". This guy had more determination and drive than almost anyone i've ever met! He told me how he grew up very poor, doesn't know who his parents are, but he's going to be famous one day. At the end of our conversation he gave me his c.d. that he was going to bring to a record company later that day.
I have no idea where that c.d. is, nor do i remember his name, but i'm sure he's doing great things.
He inspired me to never give up & to not let our past or circumstances determine our future.

So even though i'm nervous to fly, i do get a little excited wondering who i'll meet

4 comments:

Erin Willett said...

Love that top and belt! So cute :)

Very interesting story too!

heyrecklessmind.blogspot.com

Holly Lefevre said...

Flying is not my favorite thing either, but I do love to listen and watch and talk to everyone...quite a little experiment in people. Thanks for entering the shabby apple giveaway on 504 Main!

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

love your hair! good uck sweetie. x hivennn

Crafty Mommy Diva said...

LOL that would make me nervous too. Before I was married I had one guy I sat by that offered to buy me a rolling carry-on since I was struggling with my backpack and was getting married soon. I was a wreck because I had to spend the night at the airport because of plane problems which made me miss my layover.
Love the colors in this outfit.